Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
          Friday, July 29, 2016
Minister of Education

What is the difference between a scholarship, bursary, award and a loan?

  • Award- Money granted to eligible students, usually on the basis of academic and/ or other criteria.
  • Bursary- Money usually given on the basis of financial need.
  • Loan- Money borrowed for education, which is to be repaid.
  • Scholarship- Money usually given on the basis of academic standing.

What courses do I need to graduate from high school?
Specific information regarding requirements for graduation is available in the Saskatchewan Learning document Core Curriculum: Principles, Time Allocations, and Credit Policy.  Also found in this document are the course requirements for French Immersion and Fransaskois programs. 

In order to graduate, students need to have at least 24 credits, five of which are 30 level credits.  Fifteen of those are specified, and the remaining nine are electives.  The specified credits include: ELA A10, B10, 20, A30, B30; Science 10 and one Science credit at the 20 or 30 level, Mathematics 10, 20;  one 10 level Social Science, one Canadian Studies 30 (Social Studies, History or Native Studies), and one Social Science credit at the 20 or 30 level, one Wellness or Physical Education credit, two credits from either Practical and Applied Arts or Arts Education. 

What can I do outside of school to build skills that could help me in obtaining employment? 
There are many opportunities for you to gain experience, build skills and aquire knowledge that will be useful both in your personal life, but also in employment.  There are courses such as First Aid/CPR and food safety courses that might give you an advantage when applying for some jobs.  You should also consider getting involved with organizations like 4H, Scouts and Girl Guides, Junior Achievement, and volunteering in community clubs, service organizations or your church.  All of these kinds of activities will make you a more well rounded individual, and will help build transferable skills. 

I need a course that I did not take in my high school.  What can I do?
A number of school divisions throughout the province are also offering online courses.  Please contact your local school or school division office for information.

Some courses are available through the SIAST and Regional Colleges.  These are primarily courses that are required for the Adult 10 or Adult 12 program.

What are my options for completing my Grade 12 education?

Regular Grade 12  - 24 credit policy
French Immersion Grade 12 – 24 credit policy
Fransaskois Grade 12 – 24 credit policy
If you are not yet 22 years old, you can attend your local school and enrol in the courses you need provided they are available at that school.  Normally you need 24 credits to graduate, with 15 required courses and 9 electives.  

Adult 12 policy
If you are 18 and have been out of school for at least a year, you are eligible to obtain an Adult 12. Under the Adult 12 Policy, an adult may attain a Grade 12 standing by successfully completing 7 credit classes.  Prerequisite requirements are waived for adults. Credits may be attained by taking the course from a Saskatchewan secondary school, by correspondence, or a Saskatchewan post-secondary institution approved to offer secondary level courses. Adults also have the option of challenging a departmental examination.

Compulsory courses for Adult 12 (secondary completion) are:

  • English Language Arts A 30 and English Language Arts B 30;
  • One Canadian Studies course (History 30, Native Studies 30, or Social Studies 30)
  • One level 20 or level 30 mathematics;
  • One level 20 or level 30 science;
  • Two electives at level 30 (one may be Prior Learning 30).

Credits obtained through the K-12 system may be transferred to the Adult 12 program. 

General Education Development (GED)
If you are over 18, you are eligible to write the GED tests.  The GED Tests measure the academic skills and knowledge expected of high school graduates. Recognized throughout North America, the GED Testing Program has served as a bridge to education and employment. The GED Tests provide a reliable vehicle through which adults can certify that they possess the major and lasting outcomes of a traditional high school education. For more information about the GED, visit

What are the hottest jobs right now? 
The economy in Saskatchewan is booming, and with that comes plenty of good paying jobs in a wide range of occupations.  

Lots of labour market information on the Service Canada website .  This site has information about current trends in the labour market, and what you need to do to get in on the action.  For every occupation you can find out the kinds of skills you need to have, how you can get into that occupation and what to expect when you do.

I am not sure what I want to do when I finish school.  How can I find out what kinds of jobs are available that someone like me would be interested in?
You need to think about who you are, and how your personal characteristics, skills and talents might influence what will make you happy.  Remember, when you love your job, it never feels like you are going to work!  Think about what is important to you.  Do you like working with people?  Young people or elderly people?  Do you like working with your hands?  Do you want to work outside or inside? (Think about the great summers we have, but also about the not so balmy winters!)  Are you happy doing the same thing all the time, or is variety important to you?  Is it important for you to be close to friends and family, or would it be OK to travel around the province or country? 

There are a number of tools on the Internet that you can use to help you match up your interests, aptitudes and abilities with occupations.  A really good starting point is the iQuizzes site, at .  There are six quizzes on this site: Abilities Quiz, Data-People-Things Quiz, Work Preference Quiz, Work Values Quiz, Multiple Intelligence Quiz and a Seeing-Hearing-Doing Quiz.  Besides these quizzes, there are a number of links to other similar sites that can help you see what kinds of occupations are a good match for you.

Where can I find out about the programs offered at different post-secondary institutions, how do I know what courses I need to take for them, and how do I apply?
The SaskJobFutures profiles provide information about how to obtain training for specific occupations, but detailed information about the post-secondary institutions and the programs they offer is available on the websites of those institutions.  For a complete list of post secondary institutions in Saskatchewan visit

How do I get my high school transcripts?
High school transcripts are available from Saskatchewan Learning.  Upon request, transcripts can be forwarded directly to post-secondary institutions.  For details on how to order transcripts, visit

Where can I get more information about scholarships, bursaries and awards?
A complete listing of scholarships, bursaries and awards that are available for Saskatchewan students is available at
A complete listing of scholarships and bursaries for Saskatchewan students studying a second language is available at:

How do I get a student loan?
Remember, a student loan is repayable assistance. Financing your education with student loans means that you are spending now what you will earn in the future. Therefore, take some time to carefully consider your choice of a school and program of study.

Saskatchewan Student Financial Assistance
The Student Financial Assistance Branch of Advanced Education and Employment administers both the federal and provincial government sponsored student loans under the Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Student Loan Program. The program offers a needs-based supplement to your existing resources to help you fund your post-secondary education. When you submit your application, government sponsored bursaries, grants and the Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation Bursary are computed as part of the loan application process.

National Student Loan Service Center
Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Student Loans issued on or after August 1, 2001 are administered through the National Student Loans Service Centre. If you are a student attending a student loan eligible institution, this site provides information to help you receive, manage, and repay your student loan.

Bank Loans
Many banks and financial institutions also offer financial assistance for students. Some of these arrangements are loans and others are a line of credit. Shop around and see what you can come up with.

Home/Youth Career Discovery/Frequently Asked Questions
© 2016 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.